How Do I Get A Car Loan
The process of getting a car loan is similar to that of getting any other type of loan. Here’s how to start:
- Shop around: It’s usually best to compare rates and terms from at least three lenders before moving forward with an auto loan. Try to find lenders that have APRs and repayment terms that will fit your budget.
- Prequalify: Prequalifying with lenders is often the first step of the application process, and it lets you see your potential rates without a hard credit check
- Complete your application: To complete your application, you’ll likely need details about your car, including the purchase agreement, registration and title. You’ll also need documentation like proof of income, proof of residence and a driver’s license.
- Begin making payments on your loan: Your payment schedule will start as soon as you receive your auto loan. If needed, set up a calendar reminder or automatic payments to keep you on track with your monthly bill and avoid late payments.
Youre Our First Priorityevery Time
We believe everyone should be able to make financial decisions with confidence. And while our site doesnt feature every company or financial product available on the market, were proud that the guidance we offer, the information we provide and the tools we create are objective, independent, straightforward and free.
So how do we make money? Our partners compensate us. This may influence which products we review and write about , but it in no way affects our recommendations or advice, which are grounded in thousands of hours of research. Our partners cannot pay us to guarantee favorable reviews of their products or services.Here is a list of our partners.
Best Car Loans In Canada 2022
Join millions of Canadians who have already trusted Loans Canada
Want To Lower Your Car Payments?
Speak with a Loans Canada representative today and learn how you can refinance your car loan and save. Call us today at:
Note: Program is currently not offered in Quebec.
Whether you live in the city, suburbs, or the country, there are plenty of reasons to want a dependable vehicle. However, if youre looking for something thats safe, fuel-efficient, and that will last you more than a few years, chances are itll have a price tag that matches, which is where a car loan can be extremely useful.
In fact, a solid amount of financing can help you purchase a very nice hatchback, sedan, SUV, or truck. Whats more, there are a ton of lenders and dealerships across Canada that can give you an affordable car loan this year. You just need to know where to look.
You May Like: Usaa Loan Refinance
When Can I Refinance My Auto Loan
The rule of thumb is to wait at least one year into your current loan before you refinance your auto loan. This gives you enough time to improve your credit score and actually find a better rate. Many lenders also require six to twelve months of on-time payments to qualify for refinancing.
Also, you may owe more than the car is worth in the beginning because of depreciation. Lenders don’t like to refinance auto loans in this situation. You may be required to pay down the balance to match the car’s value before you can refinance the auto loan.
Now, when is it too late to refinance an auto loan? Because of the way loans are structured, you pay more of the interest charge at the beginning than the end of the loan. So, at some point, you aren’t saving any money. You should avoid refinancing if you have two years of payments or less to complete.
Auto refinance lenders can also have requirements in this area. They may require that a certain number of months are left, that the balance is above a certain amount, or that the car isn’t above a certain mileage.
What Is The Best Company To Refinance An Auto Loan With
There isnt a clear-cut best company to refinance with, as every applicant has different needs.
For example, if you have a very low credit score, you may find Auto Credit Express is your best option. Thats because the network partners with more than 1,200 different lenders many of whom deal specifically with bad-credit applicants.
If youre looking to take out a loan for more than you owe on your car, youll likely find RoadLoans.com is your best option. Thats because the networks cash-out refinancing allows you to borrow up to 90% of your vehicles total Kelley Blue Book value.
You can use part of the proceeds to pay off your existing loan and keep the rest for yourself to spend how you choose. Not every refinance company offers this kind of loan.
But, if youre looking for a company with a name you likely know and trust, you may consider Capital One to be the best. The worldwide brand has a long history of success and offers numerous financial products that meet the needs of all consumers.
Don’t Miss: Usaa Auto Refinance Reviews
Bank Of America: Best Big Bank Option
Overview: Bank of America offers flexible and convenient auto loans you can apply for directly on its website. Rates are competitive, and you can qualify for additional discounts if youre an eligible Bank of America customer.
Perks: Bank of America will finance a minimum of $7,500 and requires that the car be no more than 10 years old, with no more than 125,000 miles and valued at no less than $6,000. Financing is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Bank of Americas APRs start at 2.89 percent for a new car and 2.99 percent for a used car.
If youre a Bank of America Preferred Rewards customer, you can qualify for a rate discount of up to 0.5 percent off.
What to watch out for: If you’re applying online, the term range you can apply for is limited you can pick only a 48-, 60 or 72-month term.
Banks And Credit Unions
Banks and credit unions are perhaps the most obvious source of financing, and they cater to the majority of Canadians seeking a loan especially when the loans are large and long term, as with mortgages. However banks and credit unions typically have stricter eligibility requirements than other types of lender.
Recommended Reading: Usaa Loan Credit Score Requirements
Review The Final Loan Documents
Before signing on the dotted line, go over the refinance loan documents in their entirety. If theres any verbiage or terms that seem strange or unfamiliar, seek clarity to avoid confusion later on down the line.
Once you approve and sign, the auto loan refinance lender will send detailed instructions to wrap up the process. Then, moving forward, you will deal with the new lender to make payments and address any questions or issues with your auto loan.
Compare Auto Loan Refinance Banks
In order to make your auto loan refinance a success, itâs important to choose a bank that meets your needs. Some things to consider when evaluating lenders include:
- Rates: The lower the rates, the more youâll save on interest. Be sure to compare multiple lenders in order to lock in the lowest rates possible.
- Required credit score: Some lenders have minimum credit score requirements.
- Vehicle restrictions: While some banks and lenders work with all vehicles, others have certain restrictions when it comes to vehicle type, age, and mileage.
- Prequalification options: If possible, look for a lender that allows you to prequalify for an auto loan refinance without affecting your credit score.
- Application process: Look for a lender that offers a simple application process and fast funding.
- Customer service: You should choose a lender with a history of good customer service and high customer satisfaction.
You May Like: Usaa Car Buying Rates
The Best Places To Shop For An Auto Loan Refinance
To help you choose the right lender for your refinance, we picked out some of the best places to refinance a car online. We started by analyzing auto refinance applications for 19 lenders submitted through the LendingTree marketplace over a six-month period . We then compared and selected the top four lenders that 1. consumers were choosing most often and 2. offered the lowest average APR.
Speak To A Credit Counselor
If youre not sure refinancing your auto loan is the right move, you may want to seek professional help, like talking to a certified counselor with the National Foundation for Credit Counseling . The NFCC is the largest nonprofit financial counseling service in the U.S. and helps people get financial control over their lives. It offers debt and credit counseling for free or at a minimal charge, and can help you figure out if refinancing is right for you.
Even though an auto loan cant be included in a debt settlement plan, theres still a benefit to talking with a credit counselor if youre having trouble making payments. A nonprofit credit counselor could provide solutions that you may not be able to find on your own. You can use the NFCC locator to find a credit counselor in your area.
You May Like: Transfer Loan To Another Person
When You Should Consider Refinancing
Heres when it might be a good time to refinance your existing loan:
- Your credit score improved:A bad credit score may have forced you to take a high interest rate on your original loan. If your credit score has improved, you may be able to secure a new auto loan with a lower rate and save hundreds or thousands of dollars.
- Interest rates dropped:Interest rates rise and fall over time. If rates are much lower now than when you got your existing loan, it might be a good time to refinance your auto loan.
- Your car is worth more than you owe: If you have a low LTV ratio on your car and owe less than the car is worth, you might be able to secure lower interest rates.
Find The Best Auto Loan Or Refinancing Provider For Your Credit Score
Finding the best auto loans can be tricky. There is a sea of providers out there, and getting stuck with a bad car loan can mean years of debt. The difference between a good interest rate and a bad interest rate can add up to thousands of dollars after all is said and done.
When making this major financial decision, its important to compare your loan options. This list will point you to a number of reputable auto lenders to help you decide where to apply, whether you have excellent credit or not. Well also explain the application process as well as tips for how to get the lowest auto loan interest rates.
In this article:
Recommended Reading: How Long Does It Take Sba To Approve Loan
Here Are Some More Details About Penfed Credit Union
- Membership required You must be a member to qualify for an auto loan from PenFed Credit Union. Joining is easy, and you dont necessarily have to be a member of the military.
- Large loan range PenFed Credit Union offers auto loans ranging from $500 to $100,000, depending on your loan term.
- Doesnt refinance its own loans If you got your current car loan from PenFed Credit Union, it wont refinance your loan. The lender only refinances auto loans from other lenders.
Nerdwallet’s Top Auto Loan Refinancing Lenders
- RefiJet – Refinance loan: Best for comparing offers from multiple lenders
- RateGenius – Refinance loan: Best for comparing offers from multiple lenders
- LendingClub – Refinance loan: Best for applying directly with a lender
- MyAutoloan – Refinance loan: Best for comparing offers from multiple lenders
- Upstart – Refinance loan: Best for comparing offers from multiple lenders
- LightStream – Refinance loan: Best for applying directly with a lender
- Tresl – Refinance loan: Best for comparing offers from multiple lenders
- Autopay – Refinance loan: Best for comparing offers from multiple lenders
Don’t Miss: Usaa New Car Loan Rates
Your Credit Score Has Improved
The main factor that determines your auto loan interest rate is your credit score. If your credit score moves above 500, 600, 660, or 780, you may be eligible for a lower interest rate. You are entitled to a free copy of your credit report at least once a year. Visit AnnualCreditReport.com for more information.
Questions To Ask Before You Refinance An Auto Loan
While you can refinance at anytime, some people try to refinance when it may not make much of a difference, or may make a difference in a worse way.
Here are some questions to help you figure out if refinancing your auto loan is right for your situation.
Has your credit changed significantly?If your credits gone up enough to push you into a higher score band , you should definitely check out the best auto refinancing companies to see if you can get a deal. You can use LendingTrees free credit score tool to check your credit status. Note: LendingTree is the parent company of MagnifyMoney.
If you have a high APR auto loan because of poor credit, has your credit improved?Many people who have poor credit and little choice but to sign for a high APR auto loan might ask when their credit will improve to the point theyll be able to refinance at a lower APR but it really depends on your specific situation. There are steps to successfully improve your credit. Making monthly payments on-time and in-full should help improve your score. Just have patience lenders typically report payment behavior to the credit bureaus once every 30 days, but that can vary by lender.
If your credit hasnt increased, or its dropped into a lower category, refinancing at this time probably isnt right for you.
When to consider refinancing
Read Also: Transfer Car Loan To Another Bank
Here Are Some More Details About Refijet
- National network RefiJet connects people with a national network of financial institutions, giving you a chance to receive loan offers from multiple lenders.
- Refinances more than just cars Lenders in the RefiJet network provide refinance loans for cars, motorcycles and other personal-use vehicles.
- Not everyone can apply for prequalification To apply for prequalification, you must be employed or have a steady source of income. Youll also need to have a history of on-time auto loan payments, a vehicle thats no more than 10 years old and full-coverage auto insurance.
Important Legal Disclosures And Information
Refinancing at a longer repayment term may lower your car payment, but may also increase the total interest paid over the life of the loan. Refinancing at a shorter repayment term may increase your car payment, but may lower the total interest paid over the life of the loan. Contact us to discuss the option that best meets your needs.
Automated payment must be set up at loan closing to qualify for the 0.25% discount. If automated payment is discontinued, you may no longer receive an automated payment discount and your rate will increase 0.25%
Certain restrictions and conditions apply.
May exclude weekends and holidays.
*Check Auto Loan Rates: APRs that will display include a 0.25% discount for automated payment from a PNC checking account. The lowest rates are available to well-qualified applicants. Your actual APR will be based upon multiple factors. Refer to Important Disclosures” under Get Rates for more details.
Bank deposit products and services provided by PNC Bank, National Association. MemberFDIC
Recommended Reading: Does Carvana Prequalify Hurt Credit
The Bankrate Guide To Choosing The Best Auto Loans
Auto loans let you borrow the money you need to purchase a car. Since car loans are considered secured, they require you to use the automobile youre buying as collateral for the loan.
This is both good news and bad news. The fact that your loan is secured does put your car at risk of repossession if you dont repay the loan, but having collateral typically helps you qualify for lower interest rates and better auto loan terms.
Auto loans typically come with fixed interest rates and loan terms ranging from two to seven years, but its possible to negotiate different terms depending on your lender.
Why trust Bankrate?
At Bankrate, our mission is to empower you to make smarter financial decisions. Weve been comparing and surveying financial institutions for more than 40 years to help you find the right products for your situation. Our award-winning editorial team follows strict guidelines to ensure the content is not influenced by advertisers. Additionally, our content is thoroughly reported and vigorously edited to ensure accuracy.
Auto Credit Express: Best For Bad Credit
Auto Credit Express specializes in loans for customers with poor credit. The company even has representatives that can help loan seekers build their credit scores through their loan repayments.
Customer experiences with Auto Credit Express vary, but few loan providers look to work with customers who have especially bad credit. If you need a vehicle and are having difficulty securing a loan because of poor credit, Auto Credit Express can help. Even drivers going through a bankruptcy or repossession may be able to secure an auto loan from Auto Credit Express.
|Auto Credit Express Pros|
|Offers special rates for military members|
You May Like: Nslds.ed.gov Legit