You Want To Change The Loan Term
It also makes sense to refinance your car loan when you need a lower monthly payment. You could extend the length of the loan on your car refinance to get a lower payment. Still, its important to note that extending the length of your loan, which is known as the loan term, reduces your payment but also increases the amount of interest youll pay over time. And it works the other way, too: Reduce the term, and your monthly payment will increase while the amount of interest you pay overall will fall.
Can I Refinance My Car Loan With Bad Credit
It can be difficult to refinance your auto loan if you have bad credit, but it might still be possible. If youve made six to 12 months of consistent, on-time car payments even if your score hasnt yet improved a lender might work with you. Apply to multiple lenders, because each one has different credit score requirements. Your bank or credit union might also be more open to working with you because you already have a relationship with them.
If youre having trouble making payments, contact your current lender right away. A representative might be able to help you. For instance, lengthening the term of the loan increases the interest youll pay, but it can lower your monthly payments and help prevent a hit to your credit from missing them.
Best Place To Refinance A Car
Many banks have vehicle refinancing loans. Shop around for the best rates you can find and make sure to speak with the bank directly about the terms of a refinance loan. Find out what your new interest, your new payments and your new term will be and decide if the refinance will actually help you. While a much lower payment may seem attractive in the short term, if the new loan would go five years longer than your current loan, it may be smarter in the long run to keep the loan you have.
You May Like: How To Remove Hard Water Stains From Car
Read Also: When To Apply For Ppp Loan Forgiveness
Best Auto Refinance Companies Of September 2021
The best auto refinance companies offer competitive interest rates and transparent, reliable service. Moreover, they feature multiple refinancing options, educational resources and quality customer service. Read on to see our top picks of August 2021 and learn how to get the best loan terms that fit your needs.
- rateGenius: Runner-up for Best Marketplace
- AutoPay: Best Refinance Options
- PenFed: Best for Low Auto Refinance Rates
- Auto Credit Express: Best for Applicants with Low Credit Score
- MyAutoLoan.com>: Best for Fair Credit
- Lightstream: Best for Applicants with Great Credit
When Is It A Bad Idea To Refinance A Car Loan
An auto loan refinance can be a smart way to save money, but there are several circumstances in which it may not make sense:
- If interest rates have increased since you took out your original car loan, it may be impossible to get a better financing rate, even if your credit scores have also improved in the interim.
- If you’ve paid off the majority of your car loan, the benefits of refinancing may be negligible, as origination fees on the new loan could offset the savings you’d get by refinancing just 12 to 18 months of payments.
- If you purchased your car new or near new and have since logged exceptionally high mileage, or if it’s been damaged in a crash, flood or other mishap that’ll significantly reduce its resale value, you may not be able to get a loan that covers what you owe on the original loan.
Finally, a strategic consideration: If you’re planning to seek a mortgage or other large loan in the next six to 12 months, it’s wise to refrain from applying for any credit, including auto refinancing, that could cause a dip in your credit score. Avoiding new credit applications can help you present your best possible credit score when you submit your mortgage application.
Recommended Reading: How To Take Loan From 401k To Buy House
In The First Year: Benefits Of Refinancing Right Away
If you needed a new ride and didnt have time to shop around for a competitive rate, you may have settled for one of the first financing options offered. Financing through a dealer is quick and provides a one-stop car shopping experience, but it may not be in the dealers best interest to secure the lowest interest rates for you.
If youre regretting your decision, dont panic! You may be able to move out of that agreement and into one that works better for you. Dealer financing often also contains hidden fees, or clauses that raise your interest rate after a year or two. Once youve had time to read through all the fine print of the initial financing you chose, you may decide that refinancing early-on is in your best interest.
If you purchased a used vehicle, its often best to refinance earlier rather than later. Older cars may not qualify for refinancing, which means you should get a new loan before its too late. If you bought new, you may still qualify for a new car interest rate, which is typically lower than the rates for used vehicles.
Pros Of Refinancing An Auto Loan
- Lower interest rate: One of the best reasons to refinance a car loan is to lower your interest rate. A lower interest rate can help you save money on the cost of the loan over time. If you previously had bad credit or even no credit and your credit has since improved, it can be worth looking into refinancing your auto loan to see if you may now qualify for a better interest rate. Or, rates in general may be lower than when you originally purchased the vehicle. If the rate you could qualify for is 1% or more lower than the rate you are currently paying, consider refinancing. A significantly lower interest rate will help you pay your loan off faster.
- Lower monthly payments: If you need to free up more room in your monthly budget, refinancing your auto loan can help you reduce your monthly expenses by extending the loan. Lengthening the life of the loan by 1-2 years can significantly lower your monthly payment. Even though it will take longer to pay off the loan in the long run, and you will pay more interest over the life of the loan, it will give you the needed wiggle room in your monthly finances in the short term.
See How Much Youll Save With Money Fcu By Refinancing Your Auto Loan Today
Money FCU will provide a quote or answer any auto refinancing questions you have. Plus, we have a free rate lock that is good for 90 days with pre-approval. Get pre-approved for your refinancing and lock in your rate for 90 days. If rates go down, Money FCU always gives the lower rate. If they go up, youre locked in to the lower rate! We also have online loan applications available where you can apply in the safety of your own home. You can apply, get approved for the loan, and sign for it without ever leaving your house. You can complete the loan from start to finish all online! How much money will you save by refinancing today?
Call or chat with us Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm EST. Were here to help! You can also request a free refinance quote right online.
Here Are Some More Details About Rategenius
- Lending platform RateGenius is an online platform that partners with more than 150 lenders to provide refinance offers to people who qualify for a loan.
- Eligibility requirements Your vehicle must be no more than 10 years old and have fewer than 150,000 miles. Plus, your existing auto loan must have a balance of at least $10,250, and you must have a combined household income of at least $2,000 per month. Keep in mind that this lender may offer different terms on Credit Karma.
- Range of credit histories considered Lenders in the RateGenius network consider applicants with less-than-perfect credit, though interest rates could be significantly higher than someone with good or excellent credit would get.
You May Like: How To Apply Loan In Sss
Are There Fees To Refinance My Car Loan
Auto refinancing fees include a lien filing fee. This fee is generally relatively low and easily absorbed by the savings youll gain by refinancing. Money FCUs lien filing fee is $5.00 for borrowers in New York State.
Some lenders have an additional lender fee, which is minimal . Money FCU does not have any extra fees.
Process Of Refinancing A Car
The process of refinancing vehicles is actually fairly straightforward. It works in a similar manner to the original purchase. However, unlike haggling about the value of the vehicle, you are locked into the cost associated with the original purchase. Essentially, the new lender buys your debt and then lends that amount to you, typically at a lower rate and with an improved term.
There is some key information to gather before taking the leap. Approach the lender and discuss the interest rates available, along with any fees you will be expected to pay. Find out if there are penalties associated with refinancing and learn what the term of the new loan will be. Determine whether the costs of refinancing, both immediate and over the long term. From there, you can decide if it is amenable to your financial situation.;
You May Like: How Much Is Va Loan Entitlement
What Credit Score Do I Need To Refinance My Car Loan
Aug 3, 2021 Are you in the market for a new auto loan? If so, youve probably wondered, What does my credit score need to be to refinance a car?.
Sep 24, 2019 5. Gather the necessary documents · Personal information like your social security number and drivers license · Income information like your last;
What information do I need to apply for car refinancing? Have this information ready when If I currently have SCRA benefits, can I refinance my loan?
Aug 25, 2021 1. Consider if Refinancing Makes Sense for You · 2. Check Your Credit · 3. Gather the Necessary Documents for a Loan Application · 4. Compare;
How to Apply for an Auto Loan. Find out whats involved in the car refinancing process from the ways you can apply, to a list of what youll need for your;
How Long Will Your Credit Score Be Affected By A New Auto Loan
Though a hard inquiry usually drops your credit score by a few points, the major effects of the inquiry generally only lasts two to three months. The negative impact of a hard inquiry on your credit score continues to decrease over time. Hard inquiries drop off of your credit report after 24 months.
Also Check: What Is The Commitment Fee On Mortgage Loan
Here Are Some More Details About Capital One Auto Finance
- Narrow vehicle and loan requirements Your vehicle must be no more than 7 years old, and the payoff amount must be between $7,500 and $50,000. While lenders often will consider refinance loans for vehicles up to 10 years old, Capital One Auto Finances maximum age requirement is more strict.
- Doesnt refinance its own loans If your current auto loan lender is Capital One, youll need to look elsewhere for a refinance loan.
- Ability to apply for prequalification To apply for prequalification, you must be at least 18 years old, live in the contiguous United States, and have a minimum monthly income of $1,500 to $1,800, depending on your credit.
When Is Auto Loan Refinancing A Bad Idea
Auto refinancing is a bad idea when refinancing would place you at a higher interest rate and cost you more money than your current loan.
Another bad time to refinance is when your existing loan is expiring soon. When you only have a few payments left on your existing loan, it is usually best to finish paying off the current loan. Otherwise, extending the loan term for a new loan will likely cost more in fees and additional interest. If youre already pretty far along in your current auto loan, its probably better to finish the deal with your current lender.
Another time to reconsider refinancing is if your car has depreciated significantly or your mileage is exceedingly high. In this case, the loan refinancing option may not benefit you. In these cases, the car may not hold the loan-to-value ratio needed for the credit union or other lender to approve financing.
Lastly, a poor time to refinance is when your current loan has an early payoff penalty. Youll need to read your current loan terms to see if there are any prepayment penalties.
Don’t Miss: Is Student Loan Refinancing Worth It
Here Are Some More Details About Auto Credit Express
- Not a direct lender Auto Credit Express isnt a lender. Its an online marketplace that connects people with lenders that offer auto financing.
- Harder to qualify with poor credit If you have credit scores below 500, you may have difficulty getting approved for an auto refinance loan with Auto Credit Express.
- Cash-out refinance eligibility To get a cash-out refinance loan with Auto Credit Express, you must have equity in your vehicle and be current on your auto loan payments. Your vehicle must be less than 10 years old and have fewer than 100,000 miles on it. You may also have to meet a minimum loan amount and other requirements, which vary by lender in the Auto Credit Express network.
You Financed Your Current Auto Loan Through A Dealership
Dealerships may not offer you the best rates available. If you took out your loan through a dealer especially without negotiating the interest rate refinancing could potentially save you thousands of dollars over the remaining life of the loan.
If youre shopping around for the best interest rate, consider checking out auto refinance rates at a financial institution where you already do business. For many bank members, this could mean accessing special discounts.
For example, Chase offers a 0.25% interest-rate discount if youre a Chase Private Client. And Bank of America Preferred Rewards customers may qualify for a rate discount of up to 0.50%.
You May Like: Does Fha Loan Require Down Payment
Next Steps After Refinancing A Loan
The process of refinancing a loan itself can seem involved, but getting lender approval doesnt mean your work is done. Once you refinance your loan, make sure you continue making payments on your original loan until the process is complete. Then, continue making on-time payments on the new, refinanced loan until its paid off.
It may also be helpful to continue monitoring your credit score after the refinancing process is complete. Your score will likely experience a drop, but this is normal and the related credit inquiries will naturally fall off your credit report after two years. To protect your credit profile, just confirm that there arent more hard inquiries on your report than necessary, and review the new loan details to make sure theyre updated in accordance with the refinancing terms.
Apply For Anauto Refinance Loan
Once youve shopped around, collected all of your information and made a decision, youre ready to apply.
Youll need to complete a loan application for the lender you choose. This is where the documentation you gathered can come in handy, as you may have to provide it in the application. This application will count as a hard inquiry, which can lower your credit scores by a few points.
If your loan is approved and you sign the loan paperwork provided by the lender, you should get a document from your lender with all the terms of your new loan. Keep a copy for your records, as it will include details on when your payment is due, the minimum amount youll need to pay each month and your options for making loan payments.
Recommended Reading: What’s Better Refinance Or Home Equity Loan
Have You Taken Out An Auto Loan To Pay For Your Car You May Be Able To Refinance That Loan To Lessen Your Financial Burden
Refinancing acar loan involves taking on a new loan to pay off the balance of your existingcar loan. Most of these loans are secured by a car and paid off in fixedmonthly payments over a predetermined period of time usually a few years.
Peoplegenerally refinance their auto loans to save money, as refinancing could scoreyou a lower interest rate. As a result, it could decrease your monthly paymentsand free up cash for other financial obligations.
Even if youcant find a more favorable rate, you may be able to find another loan with alonger repayment period, which might also result in a lower monthly payment .
How Does Auto Loan Refinancing Work
By Shannon Bradley, NerdWallet auto loans expert
Refinancing your auto loan means replacing your current loan with a new one, usually with a new lender. It’s a way to start your auto loan over, with a lower loan interest rate and loan term that you choose. Your new loan’s term can be the same as the number of months remaining on your current loan, or you can shorten or extend it.
You May Like: How To Pay Home Loan Faster