Debt Consolidation Loan In Canada
A debt consolidation loan is when you borrow money to pay off other debt. The money from the new loan pays off the other debts, the accounts are often closed, and then you only make payments on this one new loan. A debt consolidation loan will often have a lower interest rate than what your other debts are charging you.
There might also be better terms and conditions, but each lender is different. When you apply for a consolidation loan, getting approved can become more difficult if youre behind on your payments, or it could put assets like your home at risk if you use them as collateral. But the biggest danger with these loans is that you can end up doubling your debt if you dont carefully live with a budget while youre paying off the loan, thats the reason you can consider getting professional help with debt consolidation loans.
How Can I Choose The Right Loan And Lender
With so many different types of debt consolidation options, it can be hard to figure out which one is best for your situation. Generally speaking, the terms of the loan will be a good gauge of whether or not its the right type of loan for you. Look at the following features to compare your options and make your selection:
- The annual percentage rate is how much interest you will pay throughout the year for your loan. The higher the APR, the more you are paying in interest.
- Loan amount: Some lenders are willing to lend large amounts, while others will cap your borrowing. Find a lender that works with your debt needs.
- Fees: Be careful to learn about all the fees involved and compare these alongside the APR. A low-interest rate will be cancelled out by a high origination fee, prepayment penalty, or other surcharges found in the fine print.
Debt Consolidation: How To Manage Debt
Managing your debt is key to paying it off and reaching your financial goals. See our tips to manage debt.
When properly managed, debt can be a useful financial tool to help you achieve your goals. But when debt becomes an ongoing concern or possibly causes you stress, that may be a sign that you could use some financial advice.
Having a debt management plan is always a good idea, regardless of the size of your debt. Part of that plan may include debt consolidation, which may be the solution youre looking for. A TD advisor can help you make a plan.
Don’t Miss: Can My Business Loan Money To Another Business
How Much Can You Save Using A Debt Consolidation Loan
To demonstrate the savings of a consolidation loan, lets say you have two credit cards with one holding a balance of $3,000 and another with a balance of $2,000. Assuming youre making monthly payments of $200 to each credit card, how long will it take to pay it off, and how much interest will you pay?
Similarly, well calculate how long and how much it would take to pay off the credit cards if you consolidated it into a personal loan. For this example, well assume youve secured a 2-year personal loan with an interest rate of 7.5%.
As you can see in the table above, by consolidating your loan, you would save $286.95 on interest and youd be paying $175 less each month. The only downside is that youd be making payments for a longer period of time.
However, if you lower your term to a year and increase payments to $434 a month, you can pay off your loan within 12 months, and only pay $208 in interest.
A Credit Card Consolidation Loan Can Help You Manage High
Want to manage your credit card debt? Learn how credit card consolidation loans can help you reach your financial goals
If youre trying to keep track of multiple due dates for your credit cards, a credit card consolidation loan can allow you to pay off your high-interest credit cards and leave you with a single monthly payment. You might even be able to lower your interest costs.
If youre considering a credit card consolidation loan, its important to shop around to save on interest and find a repayment term that works for your financial situation.
If you want to consolidate credit card debt, Credible lets you easily compare personal loan rates from various lenders in minutes.
Recommended Reading: What Is Loan Origination Process
What To Consider When Choosing A Debt Consolidation Loan
Ultimately, when it comes to applying for a debt consolidation loan, you will find there are many options to choose from. This is why its important to consider the following three factors when determining which options are best for your needs.
- Loan Amount Available. Debt consolidation loans work best when you can pay off all your eligible high-interest debt. This means you need to find a lender who can approve you for the right amount.
- . Probably one of the most important things to consider. Is the youre being offered actually going to save you money in the long run?
- Loans Fees. Consider all the fees associated with your debt consolidation loan. Even if you receive a low-interest rate, having to cover excessive fees will negate the savings. Also, dont forget to consider prepayment penalties for the loans you plan to pay off with your consolidation loan.
File A Consumer Proposal
Through a Bankruptcy Trustee
Most people know about bankruptcy, but not as many know about a consumer proposal. Its a legal agreement between you and your creditors arranged and administered by a bankruptcy trustee, to repay your debt with monthly payments that can stretch to almost 5 years. Instead of consolidating your debts into one loan, it consolidates your debt payments. Your debts will still be with your creditors, but the amount you pay your trustee each month is disbursed to your creditors after their fee is deducted.
Read Also: Which Bank Is Best For Construction Loan
Shop Around For A Consolidation Loan
Be aware that some companies may offer consolidation loans with interest rates that are higher than the debts you are trying to consolidate. Make sure to shop around when youâre trying to consolidate your debt.
Different financial institutions may offer you different interest rates depending on the type of product you choose. For example, you may pay less interest on a line of credit than on a consolidation loan.
If you shop around for a consolidation loan, make sure you do so within a period of two weeks, so that it doesn’t affect your credit score.
How Does A Debt Consolidation Loan Work
A debt consolidation loan works just like any other type of loan. But in this case, once youve been approved youll use the money you receive to pay off any high-interest debt you have. This can be credit card debt, personal loan debt, and any other type of debt that is eligible. Keep in mind that certain types of debt, think car loans and mortgages, cannot be paid off with a debt consolidation loan.
Check out this guide on loans in Canada.
Recommended Reading: How Can I Apply For Fha Loan
Equity In Owned Vehicles
If you have a vehicle that is paid off or has a low balance in comparison to what it is worth, this could be an interesting route to take. Taking a loan out using your vehicle as collateral, would allow you to pay down your other creditors. In this situation, you gain the ability to receive an auto loan rate which is typically much lower than an unsecured personal loan.
The downside here would be a limitation of the loan being capped at the value of the vehicle. Also, when carrying an auto loan, most lenders require full auto insurance coverage on the vehicle, which could increase the monthly expenses if usually carrying PLPD. That said, this is another way to leverage an asset to obtain a lower loan rate.
A Look At Credit Card Debt Consolidation Methodsand Some Potential Benefits And Drawbacks Of Those Options
Managing debt can be stressful at any time. This is particularly true when you fall behind on bills, especially if youâre watching interest charges build up every month. If you find yourself struggling, consolidating your credit card debt could be one way to simplify and lower your payments.
But thereâs plenty to think about as you decide whether consolidation is right for you. Keep reading to learn a few things to consider and a few methods to consolidate credit card debt, including potential risks and benefits.
- Common methods to consolidate credit card debt include balance transfers, personal loans, debt management plans and home equity loans or home equity lines of credit.
- Be sure to carefully consider the details of any consolidation loan.
- While credit consolidation may be a helpful debt management option for some, it isnât right for everyone.
Recommended Reading: How Much Down Jumbo Loan
Advantages Of A Debt Consolidation Loan
Here are some of the advantages that come with taking out a debt consolidation loan they should help you make the best choice for you and your financial situation.
- Your payments will be fixed installments that are affordable and easy to remember.
- Often youll be able to consolidate at a lower interest rate.
- Youll know the exact amount of time itll take to pay all your debts off
- Services charges and extra fees are typically very low
- Youll build credit with each on-time payment.
Judgment And Discipline Are Key
It is imperative to remember that consolidating debt does not eradicate debt. You still owe the money. Meanwhile, all the credit cards from which the debt was transferred will have zero balances. Strong is the consumer who can resist that siren call when the urge to shop hits.
Thing is, give in to it and youll be burrowing yourself even farther into a warren of debt. Except, this time, you wont have consolidation as a position to which you can retreat.
The right way to consolidate credit card debt is to figure out what happened to land you so deeply in debt and take steps to ensure it doesnt happen again. Then, consider the upsides and downsides of each approach to figure out which one you can handle as easily as possible.
Once youve decided, follow through with it until the consolidation debt is paid offwithout incurring additional debt while youre doing so.
Recommended Reading: Which Bank Offers The Lowest Auto Loan Rates
Debt Relief & Consolidation For $10000+ Of Debt
These three reviewed companies specialize in helping consumers who have racked up substantial debt. They primarily offer debt settlement services, which is a specific form of debt consolidation. These companies do not lend money, but rather negotiate with your creditors to reduce and consolidate your debt.
Its crucially important to choose the right debt settlement service, so weve assembled the key facts and ratings for reputable service providers and assigned a rating to each. Another important detail is that they all provide free, no-obligation consultations, giving you the opportunity to make your own judgments about hiring them.
National Debt Relief has helped more than 100,000 clients free themselves from more than $1 billion in debt since its founding in 2008. It specializes in helping consumers saddled with credit card or medical debt, but it also handles other types of unsecured loan debt, including commercial student loan debt.
Clients who have remained with the companys program for 24 to 48 months averaged a debt reduction of 30% after fees.
The company is a member of the American Fair Credit Council, the International Association of Debt Arbitrators, and the BBB, where it has an A+ rating. It is pledged to dealings that are ethical, honest, transparent, and fair. The companys services may not be available in all states.
Its services are not available in New Jersey and possibly other states.
Friends And Family Loans
This is another option that people can look into when trying to consolidate debt. If you have a friend or family member willing to loan you the money, you can probably get more generous repayment terms and possibly even waive the interest altogether. Just be careful with this kind of loan because it can turn a friendly gathering or family holiday party into a hotbed of politics and uncomfortable feelings.
Read Also: Can I Get Home Equity Loan On Investment Property
Best Ways To Consolidate Debt
The best way to consolidate debt typically varies for each individual and their unique financial situation. Here are some of the best options to consider:
- Debt consolidation loans. Personal loans are among the most common ways to consolidate multiple debts. This method will help you streamline all your debt payments under one loan.
- Balance transfer credit cards. Highly qualified borrowers can access no-interest financing through balance transfer credit cards typically for one year to more than 18 months. This debt consolidation method is a great way to streamline your payments while avoiding interest through the promotional period. However, unpaid balances at the end of the promotional period will begin to accrue interest.
- Home equity. If you have enough equity in your home, you can utilize a home equity loan or home equity line of credit to help consolidate your debt. Be careful with this option, though. Because your house secures the loan, the lender can repossess your home if you fail to repay the loan.
- 401 loans. A 401 loan is a loan you take out from your own 401 account. You typically borrow the greater of $10,000 or 50% of your vested account balance up to $50,000, and you generally have up to five years to repay it.
How Do No Income Loans Work
When these loans get serious, they dont really differ from the standard loan types. The vital part of the application is to prove that youll be able to repay the loan in due time, and thats established by verifying your assets, for the most part.
Its also worth mentioning that the approval process doesnt only include ensuring that the loans principal amount will be repaid it also involves assessing whether youll be able to pay back the interest too. Many people tend to neglect this point and only factor in the principal amount while providing proof of their assets or collateral, leading to the applications rejection.
Remember, at the end of the day, lenders only need to see that they wont need to pay an extra penny out of their pockets after the loan term is over. With that in mind, theyll also want to check your credit history, bank accounts and transactions, and general financial stability. The more youre able to prove that stability, the higher your chances of getting the loan approved.
You May Like: How Do I Refinance An Auto Loan
How To Consolidate Credit Card Debt
Keeping track of your loans and all the monthly payments might be challenging. Regularly a cash holder has to plan a specific routing to avoid falling behind on credit card bills. High interests and spiky APRs also worsen the situation. Do you recognize yourself and struggle with financial management? A debt consolidation loan will be your backup solution.
The procedure provides several advantages. For instance, it offers lower interests and convenient payment conditions. Still, there are a variety of things that you should consider before applying. To learn more and find out how to choose the best option, keep reading attentively. Well share every piece of advice that you need to know!
How Do You Apply For A Credit Card Consolidation Loan
Applying for a credit card consolidation loan is generally a straightforward process, assuming you have the right documentation in place. Though each lender has its own application requirements, youll generally follow these steps to get a credit card consolidation loan:
- Determine which credit cards you want to pay off and add up all the debt so youll know exactly how much you need to borrow from a personal loan lender.
- Shop around. Comparing multiple lenders will allow you to find the best rate and terms for your financial situation. Getting prequalified with three to five lenders is a good starting point. This lets you see what rates a lender is likely to offer you, without affecting your credit score. Look at each lenders repayment terms, interest rates, fees, loan amount, and eligibility requirements.
- Apply. Apply with the lender you selected and submit any required documentation, such as bank statements, W-2s, and pay stubs.
- Wait for approval and receive loan funds. After submitting your application, you may need to wait to see whether youre approved. If the lender approves you, youll sign your loan agreement and provide the lender with your preferred funding method or bank details if you want to receive your loan funds via bank transfer. You may need to wait up to seven business days to receive the money, though many lenders fund loans as soon as the next business day.
You May Like: Same Day Loans No Credit
If You Already Have Debt
Say you already charged your medical expenses to a credit card and are having a hard time keeping up with payments. It might be time to consider a balance transfer credit card. The best balance transfer cards offer between 12 and 21 months of 0 percent APR on transferred balances, giving you time to pay off your debt without dealing with new interest charges.
You may also want to contact your credit card issuers and ask about hardship programs. Most major credit card companies have resources available for people experiencing difficult financial circumstances. You may be able to reduce your minimum payment, lower your interest rate or apply for .