Best For Used Car Loans: Us Bank
- New as low as 4.74% Refinancing as low as 5.29%
- Loan range: $5,000 to $100,000
- Loan length: One to six years
- Available in all 50 states
Read Insider’s full review of US Bank.
US Bank’s top rates are comparable to other competitors’ rates, particularly on used cars and auto loan refinancing.
The bank will allow you to get your financing preapproved without having your car picked out. Once you decide on a car, you can finalize your loan terms. The lender doesn’t specify a minimum credit score to get a loan or a timeframe for when you’ll receive your money.
Best For Fast Approvals: Alliant Credit Union
No online chat option
Alliant Credit Union is an online credit union based in the Chicago, Illinois area. Its the largest credit union in Illinois and one of the biggest in the nation. However, it doesnt have physical branch locations and instead offers online and over-the-phone banking and loan services. It prides itself on putting its members first, offering personal customer service, competitive rates, and fast loan-approval times.
To join Alliant Credit Union, you can meet certain residency, employment, or relationship requirements, or you can just donate $5 to its partner charity, Foster Care to Success.
In addition to car loans, Alliant Credit Union offers online banking services, IRAs, trust accounts, credit cards, home loans, commercial real estate loans, and more. It has a unique car buying service that offers 0.50% off your rate for using it to purchase your next car. It also helps you with car research and lists cars from its trusted network and offers a vehicle service program and loans for recreational vehicles.
Alliant Credit Union offers financing for both new and used vehicles. Its rates start at 4.35% for new cars for 60 months and 4.70% for used cars. These rates will be 0.4% higher without autopay. Car loans can be up to 84 months with presumably higher rates. You can apply online or over the phone, and approval is usually done the same day. The approval process is easy with detailed instructions on the website.
Best Auto Loans For Excellent Credit
There is a reason why financial gurus and experts tell us to maintain good credit scores. At the top of the list, a credit report highlighting no financial issues and boasting excellent scores makes it easy for the person to acquire loans – be it mortgages or auto financing. If you enjoy excellent credit and looking to buy a new car, you can easily find the best auto finance rates for yourself.
However, the availability of too many options can also spoil you for choices. If you don’t want to go through every car financing offer on the block, continue reading this post. We have researched, shortlisted, and reviewed some of the best auto loans for excellent credit available in the market right now.
Also Check: Can I Use My Va Loan More Than Once
A Few Auto Loan Options For Bad Credit
If you have poor credit, you’ll be more limited in choosing a lender to work with. Here are a few options worth considering:
- A local BHPH dealership: There are big downsides to working with BHPH dealers, but they may be one of your only options if you can’t get approved for a loan elsewhere. These dealerships don’t necessarily advertise themselves as BHPH. Instead, they may use phrases like “no credit check” or “no creditno problem” in their advertising.
- Auto Credit Express: Auto Credit Express isn’t a lender, but it helps people who have no or bad credit get connected with lenders in the U.S. and Canada. You can submit an application online, and your information will be passed on to nearby dealers and lenders who can reach out to you with offers.
- Capital One Auto Finance: Capital One has an online prequalification application that only takes a few minutes to complete. If you’re prequalified, you can take your loan offer to participating dealerships or look for a vehicle online using the Capital One Auto Navigator tool.
- Carvana: Carvana is an online car seller that inspects its vehicles before sale, delivers vehicles to your door and offers a seven-day money-back guarantee. The company also offers financing, including for buyers with bad credit, that you can prequalify for before browsing their selection.
Whether you have bad credit or excellent credit, you’ll want to compare multiple offers before taking out a loan.
Our Top Picks For Best Auto Refinance Companies
- RateGenius – Runner-up for Best Marketplace
- OpenRoad – Best for Low Credit Score
- AutoPay – Runner-up for Best for Low Credit Score
- Caribou – Best for Fair Credit
- myAutoloan – Runner-up for Best for Fair Credit
- Lightstream – Best for Any Kind of Vehicle
- Digital Federal Credit Union – Best for Newcomers to Credit Building
Why we chose it: We chose LendingTree as best auto refinance marketplace because, among its approximately 40 lenders, some will consider borrowers with credit scores in the low 500s.
- Quote request form takes less than five minutes
- Serves a wide range of credit scores
- Minimum loan balance for refinancing is $8,000
- No 24-month loans terms start at 36 months
- No set loan amount range this varies by lender
- Loan Terms
- 36 to 72 months
LendingTree is a marketplace of about 40 lenders where you can compare rates for a wide variety of financial products, including auto refinance loans.
The companys marketplace covers the full spectrum of credit scores. This means that subprime borrowers people with scores between 580 and 619, also referred to as poor credit have a chance at refinancing their auto loan through LendingTrees network.
We particularly liked LendingTrees Auto Refinance Rates comparison tool, which allows you to input your zip code, loan amount and estimated credit score, and then get examples of potential auto refinance options with terms from 36 to 72 months .
- No limit on existing loan balance
- Prequalify with a soft credit inquiry
You May Like: What Happens After Sba Loan Is Approved
Penfed Credit Union: Most Cohesive Process
Starting APR: 4.24% for new vehicles, 5.04% for used vehiclesLoan amounts:$500 to $150,000Loan terms: 36 to 84 monthsAvailability:50 statesMinimum credit score: 610
Pentagon Federal Credit Union, or PenFed, is a military credit union that offers competitive auto loan rates. We name it Most Cohesive Process for auto loans because of its car buying service and availability.
While PenFed is primarily for military members and their families, it is also open to people who work for certain government agencies and nonprofit organizations. Even if you donât fall into any of these groups, you can join by making a donation to an approved charity.
At 4.24%, PenFedâs starting APR for new vehicles is one of the lowest weâve seen from any of the auto loan providers we researched. To get that rate, however, youâll need to buy a new car through PenFedâs car buying service. Like with most credit unions, PenFed members are eligible for special deals, such as discounts and reimbursements for shopping at partner dealerships.
However, qualifying for a PenFed auto loan might be hard for some. The credit union only accepts borrowers with credit scores of 610 or higher. In addition, PenFed has a steep $29 charge for late loan payments.
Good For Interest Rate Discounts: New Roads
Why New Roads stands out: It can be tough to qualify for low rates when you have poor credit. New Roads, the direct lending division of Consumer Portfolio Services Inc., offers interest rate discounts on certain certified pre-owned and new-car models that can reduce interest charges.
Heres some more info about New Roads auto loans.
- Loan types New Roads offers new- and used-car loans, lease buyout loans and refinance loans.
- Availability New Roads auto loans are available in only 30 states.
- No down payment required New Roads doesnt require a down payment. But without one youll need to finance a larger amount, and youll likely pay more interest over the life of the loan.
- Bankruptcy and repossession New Roads considers applications from people who have a repossession or bankruptcy on their credit reports.
- Co-buyers New Roads allows you to apply with a co-buyer.
Recommended Reading: What Do You Need For Va Loan
Good For A Range Of Refinance Options: Autopay
Why Autopay stands out: Autopay offers a wide range of auto loans, including loans for new and used cars purchased from a dealer, private party loans and multiple refinancing options, including traditional, cash back and lease buyout refinancing.
Heres some more info about Autopay auto loans.
- Multiple offers Autopay isnt a lender. Its an online marketplace that connects you with auto lenders, giving you an opportunity to receive loan offers from more than one lender.
- Ability to apply for prequalification If you prequalify for an auto loan, you can check your estimated rates and loan terms without affecting your credit scores. But note that prequalification doesnt guarantee approval or specific terms. That information will be determined after you submit a formal loan application, if youre approved, which will also trigger a hard credit inquiry.
- Wide range of loan amounts Loans through Autopay are available in amounts ranging from $2,500 to $100,000, and loan terms range from 24 to 96 months. And remember that while a longer loan term can reduce your monthly payment, youll probably end up paying more in interest.
- Additional products Autopay sells vehicle service contracts and guaranteed asset protection insurance for an extra fee. If your car is stolen or totaled in an accident, gap insurance can help cover the difference between the current value of your vehicle and what you owe on your auto loan.
- Co-applicants Autopay allows you to apply with a co-applicant.
Bad Credit Car Loan: Conclusion
If you have bad credit, you still have options for auto loans. You can get bad credit car loans from a number of banks, credit unions, dealerships and online lenders. Typically, youll pay a higher interest rate, but you dont have to settle for the first offer you come across. We recommend that you shop around and compare options to find the best auto loan for you.
Don’t Miss: Who Can Use Va Loan
New Car Loans Vs Used Car Loans
Auto lenders tend to offer lower interest rates on new cars, because they see new cars as less risky overall. Why?
- New cars all come in predictable, factory condition, whereas the condition of used cars can be all over the place.
- New cars depreciate in value on a curve that lenders can predict, whereas used cars depreciate, again, unpredictably.
- New cars often last longer than used cars .
- Lenders earn more income via interest payments on more expensive new cars over the course of the larger/longer loan.
Does the lower interest rate mean its better to buy a new car?
Not really. Keep in mind that new cars tend to cost much more and lose 20% of their value in year one, so the marginal savings in interest rates dont make up for the heavy depreciation and higher upfront cost.
To determine whether a new or used car is best for you and your budget, check out When to Buy a New Car .
How Does Vroom Work
Vroom is an online used car dealership that also helps buyers pre-qualify for loans on the vehicles it sells. Shoppers can choose a car from Vrooms inventory, arrange financing and complete the purchase online.
Cars and trucks sold through Vroom are mostly low-mileage used vehicles that have passed safety, mechanical and cosmetic inspections. Vehicles come with a free Carfax vehicle history report, which can be viewed in the details of each car listing. Vroom prices are non-negotiable. Delivery fees can be as high as $1,399, depending on location.
Vroom accepts trade-ins and also buys vehicles outright. Vroom will pick up trade-ins and purchased vehicles at no cost.
This review looks first at Vroom financing options and then at buying or selling through Vroom.
You May Like: How Much Interest Will I Pay Student Loan
What Should I Do When I Have Acquired A Auto Loan For Fair Credit
In the event that my auto loan for fair credits can be heard by a complete stranger, I am concerned. When mentioned to uninitiated persons, guns are viewed negatively.
The range trips we discuss make us seem like we are a part of some obscure club. Thanks for allowing me to assist. Feel free to contact me if you need any other assistance.
Best For Bad Credit: Capital One
- : New: Starting at 2.99%, Used/Refinance/Lease Buyout: Unspecified
- Loan range: Minimum $4,000, maximum undisclosed
- Loan length: 24 to 84 months
- Available in the contiguous 48 states
Read Insider’s full review of Clearlane.
Online bank Ally doesn’t offer financing to purchase a car. But, if you’re looking to refinance the car you already have, its auto lending division Clearlane offers some competitive rates. As long as your vehicle meet the standards , this lender could offer a competitive rate as low as 3.99% according to NerdWallet. Clearlane also offers auto lease buyouts.
You May Like: How Much House Can I Afford Physician Loan
Disadvantages Of Auto Refinancing
Online lending networks provide access to many lenders with a single application. That alone will improve your chances of approval despite having bad credit. But it also means that every potential loan offer you receive will have varying terms and conditions.
Some lenders tack on origination fees that make the loan more expensive than it seems on the surface. Those fees can get tricky, so make sure you know exactly what youll have to pay back before you accept a loan.
Depending on the terms of the loan, you could also end up paying more in finance charges. Extending your loans repayment window can lower your monthly payment but may also increase your overall cost of the loan.
For example, a $15,000 loan at 3.5% interest over 36 months will cost $15,823 to pay off at $440 per month. If you extend that loan to 60 months, youll save $167 every month, but also pay $16,373 to pay off your loan.
Does Refinancing Hurt Your Credit
When you refinance your auto loan, the new lender sends money to the previous lender to pay off the debt. The previous lender must report to the credit reporting bureaus that youve satisfied that loan, but it can take up to 60 days for it to appear on your credit report.
During that time, your credit file may show that you have two outstanding auto loans. That added debt could temporarily cause a drop in your credit score. Once the old loan reflects the payoff, your score will improve.
Applying for a refinance loan can also add a hard inquiry to your credit report. Every time you apply for any type of loan or credit, the lender places an inquiry on your credit file to see its contents.
Inquiries remain on your credit report for two years, but their impact on your score lessens over time. Lenders dont mind seeing a few inquiries at a time, but once the total reaches four or more in a two-year period, it can start to lower your credit score.
Excessive credit applications make you look desperate to most lenders and will give them pause when considering your application. If you already have an excessive number of inquiries on your credit file, a refinance application can cause your score to drop by adding an extra inquiry to your credit report.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Car Loan Length
Best For New Cars: Pnc Bank
- From dealer: 2.14% to 14.54%, From private party: 4.64% to 21.04%, Lease buyout: 3.64% to 20.04%, Refinance: 2.64% to 19.04%
- Loan range: $5,000 to $100,000
- Loan length: 12 to 72 months
- Available in all 50 states
Read Insider’s full review of PNC Bank.
PNC offers great rates for borrowers who have good credit. The bank offers financing for cars model year 2014 or newer if you want to buy an older car, you won’t be able to get a loan through PNC.
Borrowers with a poorer credit history may find it hard to qualify at all or might be saddled with high interest rates.
Try To Build Your Credit From Fair To Good
If you can afford to wait to buy a car until after you elevate your credit from fair to good, then do so. With better credit you’ll be able to get better financing options and lower rates for car insurance.
After you’ve disputed any score-lowering mistakes on your reports, there are other things you can do to help build your credit:
Focus on paying all your bills on time. Your payment history is one of the biggest factors influencing your score.
Try to lower how much of your credit limit is in use on each credit card. That’s another big factor in your score.
Be careful about making too many credit applications. Credit checks can cause a small, temporary dip in your credit scores, but multiple applications while you are rate-shopping are often counted as a single application.
If you need a new or newer used car right away and can’t spend time building credit, just get the best loan you can and then try to refinance your auto loan later as your credit improves.
About the author:Philip Reed is an automotive expert who writes a syndicated column forNerdWallet that has been carried by USA Today, Yahoo Finance and others. He is the author of 10 books.Read more
Also Check: How To Estimate Interest Rate On Car Loan
Capital One Auto Refinance: Best For Bad Credit Auto Loan Prequalification
Loan amount: $7,500 to $50,000Best for: Refinance and prequalificationCar financing types: New and used purchase loans, refinancing loans
If you want a large bank experience, we recommend checking out Capital One Auto Refinance. Capital One offers prequalification for both purchase loans and refinancing loans.
Capital One doesnt have a credit score requirement. However, it requires you to make at least $1,500 or $1,800 per month depending on your credit. If you are prequalified, you can get a loan at one of Capital Ones 12,000 participating dealerships.